After six years working as a sales representative for an international information company, John entered the appraisal profession with the largest firm in the country, first as a sales representative and then as a manager. He specialized in the asset valuation area involving Federal tax implications for acquisitions. He was asked to start and lead a new consulting area specializing in the improvement of companies within the same industries by utilizing the pyramid of ratios analysis technique.
An opportunity arose to assist in the start up of a new valuation company. He helped grow the company from seven employees and one office to more than 350 people in six offices. He was responsible for supporting to the Internal Revenue Service on a firm-wide basis all appraisals having tax implications. His individual expertise rested in the proper treatment of intangible assets as they related to the value of the whole and in properly recognizing and costing 1245 – 1250 property as well as Section 38 property.
The firm was acquired and Mr. Holmes spent the next decade as an investment banker and head of his own manufacturing and distribution company. Upon its sale in 2002, he re-entered the appraisal industry. Since then he has worked strictly in the healthcare industry. In the last few years he has overseen a national study of hospital building lives. The study now encompasses more than 400 hospitals nationwide. It supports a significant difference in the structural lives of hospital buildings in contrast to the lives published in the American Hospital Association Bulletin for hospital assets lives.
- 2007 to present –Consultant, Principle Valuation, LLC.
- 2004 to 2006 – Consultant, Wellspring Valuation, Ltd.
- 2002 to 2004 – President, Healthcare Valuation Services
- 1990 to 2002 – President & Owner of Roney Oatman, Inc.
- 1988 to 1990 – Partner, Knightsbridge Partners
- 1977 to 1988 – President – Valuation Counselors – Midwest
- 1969 to 1977 – American Appraisal
- 1961 graduate University of Notre Dame with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting